Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Passing of Talia Joy Castellano

Makeup is one of my hobbies.  I don't always wear a full face to work, but I do have fun with my makeup when I have time and I have a pretty extensive collection.  I also watch a lot of makeup gurus on youtube.  One of the gurus I started watching a year or so ago was Talia Joy.  She was very young, very upbeat, and fighting cancer.  She had been sick for six years, and a few months ago, her cancer had spread to her right hip and her skull, meaning she would likely die soon, which is exactly what happened this morning.

I am relieved that she is no longer in pain, but I am so sad for her family to lose her at the age of thirteen.  At thirteen my biggest problem was that I didn't want to do my homework.  I can't even imagine being thirteen and knowing that you are dying.  Through it all, she somehow managed to stay upbeat and cheerful.

Cancer is a terrible disease and we, as a society, have so much work to do in the areas of prevention, treatment, awareness, and research.  We owe it to everyone who has ever lost anyone to cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment